Please be informed of the following Hazelton bussing update for Tuesday, February 7:
- Hazelton Bus Run 27 (Gitsegukla) will not be operating on February 7, however, students can use Bus Run 23 and Bus Run 25 (click on links to view respective schedules). Students should arrive to their stops at least 5 minutes early due to the approximate times.
- Hazelton Bus Run 29 – Kispiox/Upper Kispiox will continue to be cancelled on February 7 due to mechanical reasons.
Parents/caregivers are asked to contact the School District’s Transportation Department at 250-638-4418 should they have questions or concerns.
Your understanding and patience is appreciated due to these unforeseen circumstances.
In preparation for the 2023-2024 school year, the Board of Education is seeking the cooperation of parents/caregivers in registering new students for the StrongStart Early Learning Program, Kindergarten and Grade 1 to 12 for the upcoming school year (2023-2024) in Coast Mountains School District.
It is important that parents/caregivers take note of the specific registration deadlines and procedures.
Please visit the following pages (click on the links below to view) for the specific registration details, deadlines and options on how to register your child for the StrongStart Program and Kindergarten to Grade 12. These pages can also be viewed on the main page of the School District’s website located under the Parent Resources tab.
2023-2024 New Student Registration & Cross Boundary Application
2023-2024 Kindergarten Registration Procedures
2023-2024 StrongStart Early Learning Program Registration Procedure
A general overview for the information of parents/caregivers:
- The StrongStart Program provides parent/caregiver participation and a learning program for children 0 to 5 years of age.
- All School District 82 elementary schools offer full day Kindergarten for our youngest learners. To register, children must turn five years of age by December 31 in the same calendar year that they begin school. Registration for Kindergarten takes place from January 16 to February 24, 2023.
- The Cross Boundary procedure for Kindergarten to Grade 12 is detailed for parents/caregivers interested in an out-of-catchment area school for their child to attend.
- Students who opt for French Immersion usually enter the program in Kindergarten and continue their French studies through to grade twelve. In Grade 12, students receive a ‘Double Dogwood’ (a bilingual graduation certificate). Students may also begin the program in Grade 1. Please visit the Kindergarten Registration Procedures page for details.
Should you require further assistance, please contact Carole Gagnon, Executive Assistant at the Coast Mountains Board of Education Office at (250) 638-4401 or via email at email@example.com.
CMSD82 News Release – Interim Principal Appointment at Hazelton Secondary School, Louise Ormerod (PDF format)
I am writing to share with you the following interim change in the administrative structure at Hazelton Secondary School.
Christine Duncan, Principal at Hazelton Secondary School is on a personal leave for an undetermined length of time. Effective February 6, 2023 to June 30, 2023, Louise Ormerod has been appointed Interim Principal at Hazelton Secondary School. We are grateful that Louise is able to provide assistance for this interim assignment.
Louise previously worked for Coast Mountains School District 82 in school administration, most recently serving as Principal of Parkside Secondary School in Terrace from 2005 to 2016.
Louise holds a Bachelor of Education, a Master of Education in Leadership, and a Master of Education in Clinical Counselling. Throughout much of her 37-year-career as an educator, Louise has focused on engaging with learners of diverse needs. During the past five years, she has been working with First Nations Education and is grounded in the premise that education is driven from strong cultural connections. Louise’s strengths lie in her forward thinking in education and innovation, her commitment to building community and in developing a holistic and positive environment to support and engage all learners.
The school district will be working closely with Louise during her transition into this interim assignment at Hazelton Secondary School. We appreciate your understanding and patience as we transition through this school administration change.
I am very happy to have Louise join the administrative team at Hazelton Secondary School. Please join me in welcoming Louise to this interim principalship assignment.
Superintendent of Schools