Hello families of Hazelton Secondary School.
We are announcing that Northern Health has offered to come to our school on Friday, June 11th to provide our students with the opportunity to get their vaccinations. This is strictly a voluntary option that is being provided by Northern Health. Below you will find information on what it will look like, as well as some information on the vaccine, itself, how to deal with side effects brought on by the shot and an In-school clinic notice from Northern Health.
- Immunize 09:00-11:41, break for lunch, restart 12:36-14:30
- Nurses are going to be set up in the gymnasium. This will ensure plenty of space & clinic flow and allow staff and students to practice social distancing.
Clinic Flow & Processes:
- Students will be called down by grade, starting with the grade 8s and working their way up to grade 12s by the end of the day.
- The goal is to immunize an average of 6 kids every 10 minutes
- After students have had their shot, they will go and wait in the “aftercare” section for around 15 minutes.
- All kids can REGISTER beforehand in ImmsBC and Northern Health encourages all kids wanting vaccination to do this. REGISTERING is different from BOOKING an appointment. There is no need to have a BOOKED APPOINTMENT through Imms BC website. The students will be treated as a “walk-in”.
- Students who have not registered can still be immunized.
- Kids will need identification, this can take many forms (school ID Card, bank card) but ideally they will have their BC Care Card with their Personal Health Number. Northern Health realize this can be a barrier and their nurses & manager are very adept at working with people to confirm their identity in all matter of ways. At other clinics, some kids have come with notes from their parents with PHN written down, for example. School staff can also be used to give proof of identity.
The BC Ministry of Health provides good information for Youth aged 12-17 and the Covid-19 Vaccine on their webpage. It covers helpful areas like Mature Minor Consent for vaccination.
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact the school at 250-842-5214.